LGBT groups we've worked with . . . or ones you have! Send info to sandy@emmasrevolution and we'll put it on the list.
- Affordable Colleges Online: ACO reached out to us to share their wonderful resource "Creating a Welcoming and Campus and Community". "Attending college can be difficult, but lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students may have an even harder time than others. The following guide was created to help LGBTQ students understand how many campuses are helping to make the college experience more welcoming and supportive.".
- Equality Loudoun: This nonpartisan community and advocacy organization works to improve the lives of Loudoun County, VA's queer community, eliminate discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity and create a climate that reflects the diversity of Loudoun County. One recent issue involved the School Superintendent's decision to remove an award-winning children's book from general circulation in elementary school libraries. "And Tango Makes Three," tells the true story of two male penguins in the NYC's Central Park Zoo who care for an egg and hatch a chick named Tango. The Superintendent has since reversed his decision. Read updates from Equality Loudon on this and other local and national LGBTQI issues.
- Civil Marriage Trail: This org which helps New York same-sex couples marry in Canada and beyond.
- "A Very Long Engagement": When Edie Windsor and her longtime partner, Thea Spyer, first fell in love, the idea of civil marriage for gay and lesbian couples was unthinkable. Still, they considered themselves "engaged." In 2007, with Thea's health failing dramatically, the couple traveled to Toronto and were married--after 42 years. Their story is being made into a film by BlessBless Productions (the filmmakers who made "The Brandon Teena Story"). See the trailer for "A Very Long Engagement" and support BlessBless Productions' work.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force: NGLTF's mission is "To build the grassroots power of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community" and "As part of a broader social justice movement, we work to create a nation that respects the diversity of human expression and identity and creates opportunity for all."
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays: PFLAG's vision includes this statement: "We, the parents, families and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, celebrate diversity and envision a society that embraces everyone, including those of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities. " Many PFLAG chapters have used Pat's song, "People Love".
- LGBTQI STOMP( Stop Tobacco on My People): "The LGBTQI community in New Mexico smokes at approximately twice the rate of the general adult population. Therefore, we also experience twice as much tobaccorelated disease and death."